“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are: Hard work, Stick-to-itiveness, and Common sense.” One cannot forget these brilliant words of Thomas Alva Edison. In every way, the quote encapsulates what it takes to succeed in the CA examinations.
Although Chartered Accountancy is one of the toughest courses in the world, we have come across many success stories of people who were disadvantaged, yet managed to reach greater heights.
Take for instance Prema Jayakumar, daughter of an auto rickshaw driver, who fought against all odds to top the CA final examinations in her very first attempt. She sets an example of how hard work and perseverance can break every single barrier that can hinder your development.
This article provides helpful tips to succeed in the CA examinations:
- As clichéd as it might sound, it is an absolute necessity to prepare your mind for the hardships that await you in this journey called CA. Determination and perseverance are the mantras to successfully complete this challenging course. Do not deter from the failures. Look beyond the failures and march ahead with confidence.
- Start your preparation for the examinations at the earliest. Do not wait for the study leave of three months. Allocate the three months immediately preceding the month of examinations to revise thoroughly. A minimum of three revisions are essential before appearing for the examinations.
- Start your preparation by first studying the Institute materials, followed by the practice manuals and then the revision test papers. Other reference materials are only supplementary to the Institute study materials and not a substitute.
- Have you ever noticed that while you could face examinations confidently during your schooling, facing a CA examination has been rather fearful? The reason is pretty obvious. Do you remember all the class tests, revision tests, etc. that you were put through before attempting your school final examination? These small tests ensured that you were on the right track in preparation of final examinations and also to assess your developments. It also aides in picking speed in writing exams. However, in case of CA exams, most of the students appear for the same without assessing themselves with revision tests. Hence it is advisable to CA students to attempt as many mock tests as possible in order to gain confidence.
- Practice time management. Numerous students have failed in the examinations due to lack of time.
- Concentrate first on those papers that you feel are your weaknesses.
- Alternate between a practical subject and a theory subject. Theory papers could be a drag. If you study a theory paper, say advanced auditing for a couple of hours, practice sums from financial reporting for the next couple of hours.
- Take your articleship seriously. The articleship training is intended to provide a practical experience to the students. Try to learn and apply in real life situations that you learnt in the classrooms.
- Make notes of what you study. The notes could be simple hints that you can easily comprehend when you run through the same for a last revision.
- Focus on amendments and case laws as these help you score better. A small trick that generally works- when you are unsure of the section number or the name of the case law, skip quoting the same and move on to explaining the content of the section and the judgement. Quoting wrong section or case law name might bring adverse impression in the mind of the evaluator.
- You are unique and so should be your strategies. The study method that works for others need not necessarily work for you. Instead of blindly aping others, try to formulate a study plan that works best for you and follow it.
- Often, students become too occupied in their studies that they fail to pay attention to their health. Sleepless nights, bingeing on caffeine to stay awake, anxiety to complete the syllabus, etc. are factors that worsen your chances of success. Given below are few ways students can avoid harming their health, which is also an important attribute to succeed in CA examinations:
- Remember the golden words that you had heard so often in your childhood- “Early to bed, early to rise.” The same applies any given day, no matter what your age is.
- Exercise regularly. It not only helps your body stay fit, but also gives a burst of energy.
- Eat healthy. Ensure that you include green leafy veggies in your diet. Cut on caffeine (although it might sound impossible to those who rely on it to stay awake throughout the night to study). Do not skip your breakfast and snack healthy.
- Drink atleast three liters of water every day. Dehydration can cause various health problems.
- Get plenty of sleep. It is of utmost importance to get a sound sleep for six to eight hours in order to allow your memory retain all that you study and also to gain energy to face the challenging day ahead.
- Take a break for half hour after every two hours of studies.
- Make meditation a compulsive routine. Meditating for a minimum of ten minutes every day will give numerous benefits including better concentration, boosted memory power, positivity, etc.
Here’s wishing success to all Future Chartered Accountants!!